Tuesday, March 15, 2016

March 13th Sermon: Portrayal of Mary annointing the feet of Jesus

Based on John 12:1-8

Pastor Erin 
Jesus was here.  He came with his disciples and we welcomed them all with great joy.  The man who restored my brother would always be welcomed in our home—and anyone who came in his name.
Martha was busily bustling about, preparing food, drawing water, and clucking over everyone as she does. 
Lazarus reclined with the men, mostly silently listening and watching.  When he spoke it was slow and deliberate, softer than he had spoken before.  When he spoke, everyone stopped whatever they were doing to listen.  Perhaps they thought back some special wisdom from the place he had been when he left us.  As his sister, I found him no wiser than before.  Unless the wisdom was that he spoke less and spoke softly.  The fact that even Martha could be stilled for one moment by our brother made me consider if he did know something new.
What Lazarus said was, “The only mystery I have ever known before you, you soon will know, too.”  He said this directly to Jesus, their eyes locked on each other’s where a second, unspoken part of the conversation took place.  Martha knew what Lazarus was getting at as well as I did but she hurried away to check a cooking pot or ready a tray.  She refused to believe what our brother had been telling us.  She refused to believe our friend, Jesus, whom we both so loved, would soon die.
Although I grieved deeply for it, I saw the truth in what Lazarus was telling us.  I heard it in the winds at night.  I felt in deep in my body, in my soul.  Jesus was going to leave us.  Jesus could not live much longer—not this way.  In truth, I think I knew this even before my brother.
I knew the things that Jesus was doing were not wanted and welcomed by everyone.  How could they be?  Each story that came to us of Jesus’ teachings and works; how he had cast out demons, cured the sick and the lame, touched and been touched by women and the unclean…all of this…all of these things which made my heart sing and my spirit long for this new thing he was doing—they sparked fear in me:  Not fear of Jesus, fear for him.
I knew if I, a woman, someone cast so low, could feel hope in all that he was doing, then certainly others felt threatened.  If someone like he could see the worth in one like me, how frightened must the powerful be to think they might not be so very special after all.  I knew many men would fear him for the same reasons I loved him.
Sometimes I felt I even saw this in the eyes of his disciples.  When I would sit at his feet and listen, when I was there among the men, I felt their eyes upon me.  My skin itched beneath their gaze.  There may have been one or another who felt something like desire for me, something I could never return.  But what I felt more from them was jealousy and contempt.  If I dared, for even the briefest of moments to look at their faces, there was anger.  Why was I, a woman, permitted to listen and to learn from the Master?  Why was I allowed so near?  I knew when Martha complained at my place among them that many of the men agreed.  I should have been working and serving and silent and obedient.  Yet Jesus, who surely knew my heart better than I, he let me stay.

If he had told me to go, I would have gone.
I know that his letting me stay is just one more reason for them to condemn him.  I feel guilty for my part in his coming trial.  And Lazarus.  Oh, Lazarus.  Surely if nothing that had come before had made a target of Jesus, Martha and I weeping, begging, sobbing to our friend for the life of our brother…Perhaps if Lazarus had been left to rot Jesus would not be in such terrible danger.  Could my sister and I have stayed silent?  Could we have stilled our grief?  How is one to choose between the love of a brother and the love of so dear a friend?
God forgive me, how I sometimes wish Jesus had left him dead there in the tomb!  Sometimes I still smell it coming off my brother’s skin, in the sweat from his pores, lingering about him.  Death’s terrible stench.  Decay like rotten goats’ milk and overripened fruit.  I think in those moments, maybe my brother did not come back wiser, maybe my brother did not come back at all.  In these moments, I sneak away from Martha and Lazarus and I open the jar of perfume and inhale deeply of its sweet spicy scent and try to forgive myself my thoughts.
My grief and my longing clash in my heart as I watch these men, all these men, those whom I love, and those whom I envy, and I am certain that all Lazarus and I fear will soon come to pass.
I go then and I retrieve my jar.  I hold it close to my breast—praying over it and telling it goodbye.
I kneel at the feet of my Jesus.  I fear.  I know this is the last time I will do so in this lifetime.  I want to thank him for all he has taught me.  I want to ask him his forgiveness for how I, too, have condemned him.  I want to tell him, though I know it makes no difference in the path before him, that I love him—that I always will.
I pour the jar out on his feet—all of it.  The oil glides across the tops of these feet that have carried him so far and so long to this place and shall not carry him much further. 
It is all I have.
It is not enough.
It cannot be enough to show him, to tell him, to give him.
I pull the scarf from my head.  I unbind my hair from its leather thong.  My hair cascading over my face I am hidden behind the black veil and I weep upon his feet and the oil.  I wipe them with my hair.
Someone speaks though I do not hear them.  I am not here.

Jesus speaks, I hear only: “You always have the poor with you but you do not always have me.”  I weep all the more.
I hear you, Lord.  I hear your command.  You must leave and I must stay.  But you do not leave me with nothing.  You leave me your people.  You leave me your poor.  They will be in need and I must care for them in your stead.  Yes, Lord, I will.  Yes, Lord, I can.  I will love them.  I will love them because I love you.
It is over.  They are gone. He is gone.  The house is filled with a mixture of scents, Martha’s food, Lazarus’s odor, my perfume.  Bright and new and old and fading things among three grieving people.  I ache.  Yet I am content.  I held nothing back.  I gave all that I had to offer.  And though I know it was still not enough, could never be enough, for him it was enough.
He asks for nothing but gives everything.  And now that I have nothing left to give I am free to give all that I am.
Thank you, dear God.
Thank you, my dear Jesus.





No comments:

Post a Comment